We came up with the idea, experimented and improved upon it, and made 4 working prototypes of the pillow. These prototypes contained heating wire, a pressure sensor to detect the compression/hugging, a light strip and a buzzing actuator. We then tested the pillows in a user test and made some last refinements before demonstrating them.
I immediately noticed that this would be a different project than I would be used to, mostly due to the varying personalities of my group peers. Our ideation process immediately started out very experience-based, and through rapid prototypes, cardboard
During the project, I learned how to steer a group with very different personalities towards an end goal, often acting as a moderator between three very separate opinions. I tried to steer our brainstorms from incoherent discussions towards practical design decisions. Additionally, I sharpened my Arduino and Processing skills by doing a lot of work on the final prototype and demonstration.
– Cover Photo | by Ingmar Nieuweboer
– Figure 1 | by Ingmar Nieuweboer
– Figure 2 | by Zeno Kapitein